diag/rdbms alert files

  • From: <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 15:02:27 -0500

Does anyone keep say 30 days worth of data in the new 11g Architecture?

Example:
find ${ORACLE_BASE}/diag/rdbms -name "* .trc" -type f -atime -{NUMBER_KEEPDAYS}
-exec ls -ltr {} \;   (or xargs instead of exec)

*.trc   *.trm   *.ams  *.stg  *.mif  *.ir

Could you just blanket remove all files, (or do the six file types
specifically)?   I created an SR once for this and essentially the analyst said
yes.    However, I'd like a second opinion as I am not sure of all the file
types yet.

For instance in alert/log.xml appears to rotate at 1M, but is there any cleanup
to purge old files?

Etc.   wondering what the rest of the community is doing in this regard.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 727-2546