Re: determine start time for RAC database

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ssibert@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 09:29:11 -0800 (PST)

Others have good input. I want to add that even though this may not be
a proper technical question, it's a very legitimate question for
business. If there's no good way to find the answer from a technical
perspective, Oracle should enhance the product. Writing a shell script
incorporating heuristics to provide the answer or the best guess at it
is meaningful exercise.

On the other hand, we may check service availability. That's what
business cares about anyway. If they connect using service myapp, find
a gap in the output of

select distinct a.snap_id, a.begin_interval_time, a.end_interval_time
from dba_hist_snapshot a, dba_hist_service_stat b
where a.snap_id = b.snap_id and service_name = 'myapp'
order by 1;

If it's any or all services, replace myapp with SYS$USERS. The problem
with this is that the gap has to be larger than an hour to be detected.
And a license issue with querying these views.

Having said all that, if you build your own script to periodically
login the database, RAC start time, or rather, service availability
starting time, becomes readily available!

Yong Huang