Re: ** delete tuning

  • From: "Daniel W. Fink" <danielwfink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ajoshi977@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 20:56:05 -0600

The first thing you should do is trace the session doing the deletes. You could be waiting on locks from other sessions, performing excessive logical I/O. Are you deleting parent records after first visitng all the child records or are you using 'ON DELETE CASCADE' as part of your referential integrity constraints? How many indexes are on the tables?

There are too many variables to be answered.

Regards,
Daniel Fink

A Joshi wrote:
Hi,
In one of my programs : I am doing a lot of deletes for one key existing in many tables. I have to visit each table and delete the row for the key. This process is real slow. Are there any parameters or settings to set , init or otherwise to make delete faster. Or any other guideline? The version is 8.1.7. Thanks

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman1/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39663/*http://voice.yahoo.com> to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.