** default in sql loader

  • From: A Joshi <ajoshi977@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:38:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
  I have table and it has a field that has a default. I am loading the table
from sql*loader. When the field is null in data file I want it to put the
default. However it does not work. Even at sqlplus level if I insert a row
using insert into .... values... it only puts the default if the field is not
included. If the field is included in the list and a null is specified then it
does not put the default.
  One way to overcome this is have a pre-insert trigger which checks for null
and then puts the default but I am avoiding that and also if the default
changes then I have to change the trigger.
  MAybe I am missing something basic here. Can someone help.
Thanks