RE: dba_extents and dba_segments

  • From: "Ric Van Dyke" <ric.van.dyke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 00:06:09 -0500

On my little test database the issues seems to be that dba_segments
shows segments in the recycle bin (BIN$ segment names) but dba_extents
doesn't.  This little test just shows for table type segments which were
the one segment type with the most difference in my database.

Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production

With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

SQL> select segment_name, sum(bytes) from dba_segments

  2  where segment_type='TABLE' group by segment_name

  3  minus

  4  select segment_name, sum(bytes) from dba_extents

  5  where segment_type='TABLE' group by segment_name

  6  /

SEGMENT_NAME
SUM(BYTES)

--------- ---------------