Re: db_recovery_file_dest_size

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 14:05:56 -0800

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Allen, Brandon
<Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>  I forgot to mention another option – just don't use the flash recovery
> area at all.

That's my personal recommendation, even if use of FRA is 'strongly
recommended'.

The old fashioned method works quite well for multiple databases.

I dump all archive logs to the same filesystem from several databases on one

linux server.

The SAN easily handles the IO, and there are no artificial limits placed on
the
consumption of space by database parameters, or by putting archive logs
in different filesytems for different databases.

The only good reason I can think of for separating archive IO to separate
filesystems
is to improve write performance for archives, and even at that, it is a
questionable
practice on SANS anymore.

That's my opinion anyway, one that works pretty well in our environment.

YMMV

Jared Still