Re: d/b health check

  • From: Peter Robson <pgro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lord David <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:01:50 +0100

LD> Can anyone point me to a good outline for a 'database health-check'.  I.e.
LD> is it best to base it on statspack/bstat/estat, some form of response time
LD> breakdown (I'm reading Cary's book at the moment) or something else
LD> entirely.

Ah, this is a great question!

I answer, because I have built an automated system for returning a
'database health quotient' via email every day. Management love it ...

This is how it works...

There are something like 150 exception alerts generated every night by
batch jobs, checking all manner of parameters on Oracle, both data and
metadata. Each test provide a FAIL numeric, as against a POPULATION
numeric, eg the total number of distinct conditions checked for
compliance.

At the end of all the batch runs, a total FAIL count is computed as
a percentage of the total population from which the fails are obtained
- QED a percentage - your 'database health check'!

Of course, it is utterly meaningless in isolation of a clear and
objective understanding of the parameters being measured. So any such
quotient will be highly specific. If not, it may mask something that
is critically important!

But is ain't half cool to say that the database health quotient
improved from 97.35% to 98.21% last night!!

Bottom line - 'caveat emptor'.

peter
edinburgh

    mailto:pgro@xxxxxxxxx

This e-mail message, and any files transmitted with it, are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the  addressee. However, the information
contained in this e-mail may subsequently be subject to public disclosure under
the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and, unless the information is legally
exempt from disclosure, the confidentially of this e-mail and your reply cannot
be guaranteed. If this message was not intended for you, you have received it
in error and any copying, distribution or other use of any part of it is
strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
sender and do not necessarily represent  those of the British Geological
Survey.  The  security of e-mail communication  cannot be guaranteed and the
BGS accepts no liability  for claims arising as a result of the use of this
medium to  transmit messages from or to the BGS.   http://www.bgs.ac.uk