RE: db file scattered/sequential read wait

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:03:17 -0700

That background job does not have the where clause
" where p2 between block_id and (block_id+blocks-1)"
it just reads dba_extents (same as my nightly job does). It takes a while, but
it does it only once. I was referring to the fact that the OP was monitoring
db_file_... wait events and was warning against frequent executions of the sql
in order to determine the object name. That sql does practically the same work
as the batch jobs and then throws away most of the result set. Try doing that
frequently with tables/indexes in LMTs and see what happens.
I still don't find it a good idea to run that job every hour during prime time,
but hey, whatever turns you on.

<soapbox>
Interesting idea. Buying spare expensive cpu cycles so that you can run that
sort of stuff, but then balk at the cost of disk and go with raid5 because it
is cheaper.
</soapbox>

I am not insinuating that that is the case at your shop, but I am confident
that there is enough of this around.

--
regards

Wolfgang Breitling