Re: db file scattered reads

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lyallbarbour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 14:00:03 -0700

Lyall,

Regarding your comment that this is a "off-the-shelf application that you can't touch":  adding custom-built indexes generally does not violate support for 3rd-party off-the-shelf applications.  The main requirement is usually that you build them in such a way that they are easily identifiable, easily dropped and re-created, and not created so as to disrupt product patching, etc.  I'm sure lots of folks on this list have lots of advice on this, covering a wide variety of COTS apps.  Perhaps someone on this list is managing the same application as well?

Please verify with your application vendor on their policies for support for custom-built indexes?

Hope this helps...
Tim Gorman
consultant -> Evergreen Database Technologies, Inc.
postal     => 13087 West Cedar Drive #225, Lakewood CO 80228
website    => http://www.EvDBT.com/
email      => Tim@xxxxxxxxx
mobile     => +1-303-885-4526
fax        => +1-303-484-3608