RE: db_file_multiblock_read_count and performance - Bayesian Filter detected spam

  • From: "Christian Antognini" <Christian.Antognini@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Post, Ethan" <Ethan.Post@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:34:37 +0100

Hi=20

(Sorry for the delay... but I'm offline by a customer...)

>This kind of brings up an interesting thought.  There is the script on
>Ixora to test the largest MBR size and then you are suppose to set the
>value to that,

Setting it to the largest value is not good on all I/O sub-systems and =
sometimes very poor for the optimizer. Usually a value that gives good =
performance (let's say 90-95% of the maximum) lead to much better =
execution plans. Notice that if system statistics are used, then they =
automatically "compensate" large values with much better one (e.g. on a =
real system it happens not very often that you can read 50-60 contiguous =
blocks with a FTS...).

>maybe it would be a better practice to generate a huge
>table, run tests at different sizes then set.

For my tests I took a table of at least 1GB (on small systems) or 10GB =
(on big systems), i.e. I just reused a table with real data.

>In theory the largest
>size possible would be fastest but it would be interesting to find out
>if this always was true.

This is not true! You should really do some tests!!!!

Chris