RE: db corruption

  • To: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:07:27 -0700

>>>Oracle 8.1.7.4 and 9.2.0.6, Solaris Sparc, raw volumes,
>>>served up from an EMC DMX, via VxVM.

>>>I've had one database where this occurred once.  I've had
>>>another where this happened to 60-70 datafiles.  Exact same
>>>type of corruption, always the last block in the datafile.

Are you saying it is the last block precisely that is zeroed
out? And that is 100% of the block?  Given the config
you've described, I think only Oracle or VxVM could be
to blame for that. Since the DMX is virtualized by VxVM and
the problem happened on 60-70 datafiles, I think the odds
are too astronomical that the DMX did it since those magic
last blocks are strewn all about.