Re: db block size

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 02:09:16 -0400

On 06/21/2004 01:57:59 AM, Craig I. Hagan wrote:

> For the time being, I would be cautious about using multiple block sizes on a
> large (VLM) linux database or a RAC system - minimize risk.

Well, it's late enough, I'm adding data files to one of my tablespaces,
because one of our RAIDs has failed, so I shall not mince my words.
Emperor has no clothes. Linux is a toy OS for toy boxes. Linux has huge
problems with things like async I/O and direct I/O which are easily
available on any serious OS. I would also advise against using very large
databases on a Linux system - one should use HP-UX or AIX instead. Those
operating systems are stable, well-supported and battle tested Unix systems
which have a proven track record of performing heavy duty work on large
boxes. Linux has proven track record of causing problems and being a good
platform for playing Wolfenstein and  BattleZone. Using Linux for very
large databases is the same thing as using Windows for very large databases:
it means living dangerously. Being a conservative creature, I don't like
the idea. If you are into fault-tolerant BattleZone game, Linux is ideal
for you.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA