Re: datapump export to pipe

  • From: Adric Norris <spikey.mcmarbles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 17:41:59 -0500

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 17:04, Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> It's in 11gR1. The parameter is REUSE_DUMPFILES ... this will allow you to
> re-use an existing dumpfile. As I've said before, I've not tested this with
> the old compression methods (mknod, etc) but I would suspect it works.

That parameter only works for normal files... on 11.1.0.7 under Solaris,
anyway.  If the existing file is a named pipe you get:

$ expdp system DIRECTORY=dptest DUMPFILE=dptest.pipe TABLES=system.test
REUSE_DUMPFILES=y

Export: Release 11.1.0.7.0 - 64bit Production on Tuesday, 06 October, 2009
17:24:31

Copyright (c) 2003, 2007, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
Password:

Connected to: Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.1.0.7.0 -
64bit Production
With the Partitioning, Real Application Clusters, Data Mining and Real
Application Testing options
ORA-39001: invalid argument value
ORA-39000: bad dump file specification
ORA-31641: unable to create dump file
"/oracle/admin/CDCSRC/temp/dptest.pipe"
ORA-27038: created file already exists
Additional information: 1
ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status
Additional information: 5

While it's true that Oracle didn't technically remove the compression
feature (since it was never actually part of the exp/imp utilities), they
were most definitely aware that compression through a named pipe was a very
common practice.  Metalink (now My Oracle Support) has plenty of examples,
which strongly implies to me that it was a supported configuration.

--
"I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred.