RE: dataguard and operators

  • From: John Hallas <John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "contact@xxxxxxxx" <contact@xxxxxxxx>, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx" <howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 09:00:01 +0100

That leads to the interesting question as to whether you should automate
failover or not.
Personally I am of the view that I prefer to know what is happening and have
control rather than have a network event potentially cause mayhem.

The database is not the only thing that fails over - for instance on some of
our systems we would have to stop non-production environments and on others
part of the failover plan is to increase CPU availability.
More importantly there sometimes needs to be application support interaction
and even configuration activities.

None of the above aspects are insurmountable and could all be managed and
automated - if you have the will to do it.

John

www.jhdba.wordpress.com