Re: dataguard

  • From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vlajos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:30:00 +0100

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 22:55 +0100, Veres Lajos wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Sam Chakkanat wrote:
> >
> > What is size of your application?  How many tables? volume.  Depending,
> > Oracle Streams may also be an option.
>
> Rman dump is about 3 G.
> Exp dump~ 1.8 G.
> We have 70-80 tables.
> Most of selects uses a single (products) table.
> If we could spread the queries against that table that would be a big
> gain too.
More important: how much redo are you generating? That might be an
indication whether streams is feasible as well. Kirtikumar Deshpande
used to be on this list (haven't seen him here for a while though), he
knows a lot about streams. At first sight streams could be a useful
alternative to you.

> > But DML redirect to master only may need some work, if application cannot
> > support that. (or use specific service names for application? )
>
> I think we can modify our application. This isnt a big issue.
>

> > Your standby database can be logical/physical depending upon the
> > application and the business need. And you could
> > defer the apply at the standby to leverage the stand by server as a "read
> > only".
>
> There is any way to apply the logs continually and meantime read from the
> standby database?
> Or this operations exclude the other?
Yes, this is true up to 10gRx.

11xyz will support read-only access during redo apply. So, you probably
have to wait for about a year or so. Or get in the Beta program.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
===