RE: datafiles on NFS?

  • From: "Lange, Kevin" <KLange@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:54:13 -0400

We run exclusively on Netapps here on NFS mounts for our 9i and 10g DBs.

Normally, the system is great.

Unfortunately , there is always something to mess "Great" up.

Moved to individual volumes for each database versus one giant pool of
space.  This lead to an issue where we missed the growth of the
snapshots on one database that ended up eating all the available space
in that particular volume.   When this happened, datafiles were
corrupted.

Moral of the story is ...  Netapps are great as long as you are
proactive in your monitoring of space usage.  We now have jobs that look
for  any netapp going above x percentage full on both the snapshots and
the data areas.

I would still recommend this setup for ease of maintenance.