RE: datafiles on NFS?

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <patrick.elliott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'D'Hooge Freek'" <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>, <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <spikey.mcmarbles@xxxxxxxxx>, "'ORACLE-L'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:19:44 -0400

Patrick, thanks for that very specific warning. This indicates to me that
part of the basic test before putting any particular flavor of NFS into
service is to be sure that:

a) basic autoextend functions correctly
b) autoextend failures on file system full are handled in a reasonable way.

I've always been shy of NFS from being a dinosaur when a particular NFS
feature implementation on several flavors of UNIX nearly guaranteed silent
corruption, but that particular problem was solved years ago, and whether or
not certified or recommended for performance NFS mounts have been considered
usable for quite a while now.

I suppose system/NFS combination that failed those tests could still be used
if the DBA staff/sysadmin staff team could be definitively schooled to not
allow autoextend for those mounts.

Again, thanks for the heads up on this issue. It seems like déjà vu from
autoextend beyond the maximum writeable address without complaint from
several years ago.