Re: database recovery help

  • From: BN <bnsarma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: godwin.ror@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:16:46 -0500

On 3/6/07, Godwin vincent <godwin.ror@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,
          Something went wrong and now i have corruption in my database
and it wont start at all. All I have is a backup which is 5 days old. As
part of the backup, i have a hot backup of all the datafiles, control file
and archive redo log files, which are all 5 days old. Now, i want to recover
my database using this backup (even though i loose a week worth of data). I
have never done a recovery ( either user-managed or using RMAN) and would
like to request some help in this regard.  The database is able to mount but
is is not able to open, so im assuming that there is no problem with the
control file. Im running Oracle 8 on Solaris. So, from my understanding, i
have to perform a restore and recovery and to do that will the following
work? and is this the standard way of restore and recovery

1. Restore the datafiles backup.

    cp /u08/backup/datafilebackup1.dbf   /u02/oradata/DB1/datafile1.dbf
    cp /u08/backup/datafilebackup2.dbf  /u04/oradata/DB1/datafile2.dbf
    ............... restore all the datafiles backups to the original
datafile location..........

2. startup mount

      SQL> startup mount;

3. Recover

     SQL> recover database until cancel;

               When prompted give the path and file name of the archived
redo log to apply until it gives
               "Media Recovery Complete", if it still asks for archived
logs when there are no archive
               logs left to give, then give the location of the latest
active online redo log file.

4. open the database

     SQL> aler database open resetlogs;

Is the above process standard way of recovering a database with the
backup?

1.Im still not clear on this control file, In this case, do i have to
restore the 5 days old control file to recover the database? or can i use
the current control file ( because there is no problem with the current
control file as the database is mounting)?
2. Where does the RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL command look for archived
redo log files by default? can i restore the backup arch logs to the archive
log destination?

Any information would be of a great help.

Thanks,
Godwin.

Greetings

I think you should post  the following info for better  replies :

1. Complete error message
2. Oracle  & OS Details, Verison, etc.,
3. Size of the Database

--