Re: database monitoring tools - what is your short list of

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 12:48:50 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, I'm aware of the default 7 day limit. I changed it to 14 days on the
database I considered the most important. I just want to have a quick way to
graph the trend of any stat or event on an ad-hoc basis using a tool our team
is already using, i.e. Grid Control.

Writing a SQL to extract numbers and plot is what I usually do. From the
simplest to more sophisticated:
* my rpad()-based SQL
//www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/making-graphical-reports-from-oracle-metrics,23
* using Excel (put numbers in columns and plot, or use VBA code like the one by
Tanel Poder)
* using specialized tool such as Apex

But since our shop uses GC to do most monitoring, I thought there was a page in
GC where I can pick from a drop-down a statistic or wait event and get the
curve.

Yong Huang