RE: database decommission checklist

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 06:21:49 -0700 (PDT)

We recently decommissioned a 8.1.7.0 database. In addition to all excellent
suggestions by others, we also:

* Checked jobs inside and particularly outside the database, cron jobs on the
server itself and jobs on the application server. Made sure there's no access
to the file system or to the network from inside the database that needs to be
taken care of.

* Dumped the database and imported into a 10.2.0.4 database (we no longer have
8i) and have one power user use the application connect to it. In the process,
we found the import went into a WE8ISO8859P1 character set database fine, but
not one using AL32UTF8 (unless we would spend time doing some conversion). In
the next few months, this temporary "database" will be used by the power user
for lookup only. So the relevant tablespaces are made read only.

* Gzipped the dump file. The primary schema uses CHAR extensively. The
compression ratio is over 10 times (40G to 360M).

Yong Huang