RE: data guard questions

  • From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "eglewis71@xxxxxxxxx" <eglewis71@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 00:40:29 +0100

Yes this is possible. I have this kind of setup running on 10gR2 on windows.
The primary is replicating to the physical standby using the lgwr and the
physical standby is replicating to the logical standby using the archiver (I
think it was not possible to use the lgwr for this replication as well, but I'm
not sure anymore).

Following metalink note can also help you: Cascaded Standby Databases [ID
409013.1]

I'm not using the broker.
My main objection to the broker is that it keeps a separate repository for the
db parameters involved in a dataguard setup. As I'm a consultant I'm not always
on the client site (sometimes for several weeks or months) and the chance that
someone has altered a parameter in the spfile instead of using the broker,
resulting in a discrepancy between the two and possible unsuccessfull role
switches or failovers is pretty high.
I can understand that they needed it when there was no spfile yet, but today ...

Regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator