Re: data guard fast start failover

  • From: Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx
  • To: Alex Gorbachev <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:43:51 +0200

from Alex Gorbachev <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Observer and standby couldn't distinguish network
connectivity issue on primary from any primary host failure, power
outage or whatever else.

Exactly! But what I did was simple: killed both observer and standby.
Then primary killed itself. Which is a part of a split brain prevention.
But in this case it means that one must make sure that at least one standby
or observer(or a second observer) are allways alive, running and accesible
to the primary.
Else one can get an unexpected shutdown of primary.

Brgds, Laimis

             Alex Gorbachev
             <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             2009.01.19 13:33          Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx
                                                                        cc
                                       ORACLE-L Freelists
                                       <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: data guard fast start failover

Laimutis,

As Ian explained, if your current primary looses connectivity to both
Observer and standby, it *must* shutdown to avoid situation with two
primary databases active and diverging. Indeed, if Observer and
Standby are loosing connectivity to the primary (that is OK and
operational otherwise) then Observer and standby will make decision to
promote standby database to the primary role - the primary database
has failed for them. Observer and standby couldn't distinguish network
connectivity issue on primary from any primary host failure, power
outage or whatever else.

Having data integrity above all, primary must be stopped to avoid
split-brain - i.e. both databases in primary role. What you call
dangerous must be relatively routine failover assuming DR is designed
and implemented properly and can actually be promoted to primary
safely and hold the traffic.

Cheers,
Alex