Re: customized asm instance name

  • From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bialekr@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:47:24 +0100

A colleague asked this question in a SR (it was all about 11.2.0.1 Grid
Infrastructure)

from Oracle® Database Storage Administrator's Guide:
Chapter 3
>>begin quote

To connect to a local Oracle ASM instance with SQL*Plus, set the ORACLE_SID
environment variable to the Oracle ASM system identifier (SID).

The default Oracle ASM SID for a single-instance database is +ASM, and the
default SID for Oracle ASM for an Oracle RAC node is +ASMnode_number where
node_number is the number of the node. The ORACLE_HOME environment variable
must be set to the Grid Infrastructure home where Oracle ASM was installed.

Note:
Oracle recommends that you do not change the default Oracle ASM SID name.
<<end quote

Last setence lets me assume that it is not recommended but possible!
Can you explain, please.
This is important for us to distinguish ASM instances globally.

and the answer was:

That statement does not necessarily mean it's possible.

It's possible in 11.1 and 10g as in Note 744932.1 - How to rename ASM instances
in RAC or clustered environment.

I actually confirmed with DEV about this for before I gave you the answer.
Unfortunately, DEV said changing ASM instance name is NOT even supported.

You can consider filing an enhancement request if needed.
Note 214168.1 Ext/Pub Logging an Enhancement Request

To answer Marks question: In prior versions we gave each ASM an unique name
according to the hostname (which is totally unique within our company). As we
have several clusters, we still could identify each ASM-instance, logfile etc
easily. Now (with 11.2) we have several ASM1, ASM2 and must match them to the
corresponding node/clustername with some more effort.
For me this is a step backwards, especially as this Feature worked fine in
previous versions.

Martin