cursor_sharing - similar vs force

  • From: kyle Hailey <kylelf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 13:39:59 -0700

I've seen good results with cursor_sharing=force and seen many issues of
bugs using cursor_sharing=similar.
I don't know of any bugs on cursor_sharing=force, but imagine there are. Any
people been bitten trying to use cursor_sharing=force?
And if there are bugs (which I'm sure there are) how likely the might show
up. Anything to watch out for in particular?

Of course "force" could cause users having different plans to end up with
the same plan - the bind variable peaking problem.

Similar on the other hand seems to be pretty risky.
I blogged on an example of how bad cursor_sharing=similar can be here:
http://db-optimizer.blogspot.com/2010/06/cursorsharing-picture-is-worth-1000.html

Best Wishes
Kyle Hailey
http://oraclemonitor.com