Re: create user with existing password

  • From: Rodd Holman <rodd.holman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 13:08:26 -0600

This works,
I'm currently using this to move users from a 10g to 11g database. The kicker is to remember that 11g, by default, now uses case sensitivity in the passwords. So, if they entered their password in all lower case in 10g, that's still what they need to do.

On 03/04/2011 11:31 AM, japplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I've used this SQL in a script that runs against the old DB and gets all Users but the built-in ones like Sys, System, etc. (User_ID > <SomeInteger>). It makes sure to set their Temp tablespace correctly, in case it wasn't - some of our Apps create Users with Temp tablespace = System. I do System and Role privs in different scripts, as well as tablespace Quotas. Then I take those files to the new DB and run them in order.

Select 'Create User '            || UserName ||           || Chr(10) ||
       'Identified by Values ''' || Password || ''''      || Chr(10) ||
       'Default Tablespace '     || Default_Tablespace    || Chr(10) ||
       'Temporary Tablespace Temp ;'
From   DBA_Users
Where  User_ID > 33
Order By UserName
/

Hope this helps.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator

From: P D <pdba1966@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: create user with existing password