RE: create db, mount stages, sql.bsq, catalog.sql

  • From: "Reidy, Ron" <Ron.Reidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:27:14 -0700

Comments below ...

________________________________

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jared Still
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:49 PM
To: Oracle-L Freelists
Subject: create db, mount stages, sql.bsq, catalog.sql

Forwarded for Sean Hull - he is having some email (sending) problems.

Please reply to shull@xxxxxxxxxx

Hi All,

I know it's been a very long time since I've posted.  Mostly I'm just
lurking,
and reading these days.

I'm working on a presentation for Collaborate 2007.  I'm illustrating a
very
basica CREATE DATABASE, with only a few options.  I want to illustrate
the
state of the data dictionary when:

1. startup nomount
2. after we have run create database (sql.bsq does what?)
3. after we have run catalog.sql

I've been digging around myself, and for instance at stage #1 v$session,
and
v$parameter and so on are available.  In face many v$ tables such as
v$tablespace, and v$datafile are available, but return an error at this
point
because the db isn't mounted.  After stage #2 those v$ tables work
properly.

[rr]  Makes sense - there are no datafiles nor a data dictionary until
the DB is created.

sql.bsq is described here:
http://safari.oreilly.com/1565924509/ch04-23413

Does anyone know of a good discussion of this, or thorough documentation
on it.
I would like to cover it a little better than my own investigations
might.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

--

Sean Hull, Founder Snr Consultant       Heavyweight Internet Group
http://www.iheavy.com <http://www.iheavy.com/>

Subs to Open Insights:     http://www.iheavy.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1
Linkedin Profile:          http://www.linkedin.com/pub/0/687/638
BOOK Oracle & Open Source: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oracleopen/
"Get Out of the Tech Hex": http://www.changethis.com/27.04.TechHex
"MySQL for OracleDBA":
http://dbazine.com/ofinterest/oi-articles/hull1/

information which may be confidential or privileged. The information is
intended
sender  of the delivery error by replying to this message, or notify us by