Re: copying tables to another db, oracle 9.2

  • From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stellr@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:49:26 +0100

Ray,

Trica wrote:

> I've created a report user and throttled
> resources for this user, but my goal is to restrict all
> non-application access to the production database.  I would like to
> automate the copy the reporting data to a dedicated report database on
> another host, preferably daily.

I didn't understand the varying userbase was part of the problem: Tricia
likes to separate managers running reports from the 'real' application.
She will correct me if I'm wrong. With my understanding of the probem a
read only standby can help to accomplish this task. If you have a
dataset that needs to be refreshed once a day, and it is queried for the
rest of the day, you can do that with a read-only standby. The
read-onloy standby can use the (locally managed) temporary tablespace if
queries are getting big.

A real-life example: One of my customers runs their application
web-based on an ASP-basis. It's HR/recruitment stuff. Every now and then
one of their users throws away resumes of candidates, or vacancies, or
whatever, and then discovers it was the wrong item that was deleted.
They will call the helpdesk then, and ask to restore the data. The
helpdesk can do this pretty fast through a database-link to their
standby database, that is refreshed daily, but with a 2-day lag. Pretty
much the same way as I explained it to Tricia.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
===