Re: convert big endian to medium endian

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 17:59:57 -0500

Hi Ahmed!

Your problem is that SYS tables, like OBJ$, TAB$ and COL$ all contain the information using binary numbers which are in the wrong format.  RMAN only converts file and block headers, that's it. No table data gets converted. If it did, it wouldn't be RMAN and the conversion would take forever.  If you want to forgo tablespace import, do schema import over the db link. Data pump utilities are rather fast.  Or you don't have to move to the other endian tribe. The choice is yours.

Regards

On 2/7/20 5:03 PM, Ahmed Fikri wrote:

sorry to ask again to this topic: why it is not possible to take all datafiles from the aix with big endian and convert them using external program (maybe a c program or even a dbms_file_transf r from other oracle instance) to the target endian and use them to create the new DB? This is like creating a new Database using a cold backup only with the additional step to convert the datafiles. I'm unfortunately not convinced that we should use the TTS methode. I think that using TTS is only good if we want to copy only a few TS of the DB. But in my case I want to copy the whole DB.

Thanks and regards.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant