constraints and indexes

  • From: Chris Stephens <cstephens16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 10:47:12 -0400

I've discovered an odd different between our testing and staging
environments here that I am unable to explain/duplicate.  It probalby
exemplifies my lack of understanding of indexes and constraints.

We have the exact same table in both environments with the exact same
primary key constraint and supporting index.  In one database when i
disable the constraint, the corresponding index is dropped.  In the
other when i disable the constraint, the corresponding index remains.=20
Any idea what the difference is?

I thought it might have to do with creating the index first as opposed
to just creating the constraint and implicitly creating the index but
that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm off to read the series of articles Jonathan Lewis wrote for
dbazine on constraints but thought i'd post this first.  (probably the
wrong order but whatever).

Thanks for any insight.
Chris