Re: connection pool sizing

  • From: Mihajlo Tekic <mihajlo.tekic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oyvind.isene@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 15:58:14 -0700

Below are links to couple of videos, on the subject, that you could find
very useful:

Real-World Performance - 13 - Large Dynamic Connection Pools - Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo-tBpVewP4

Real-World Performance - 14 - Large Dynamic Connection Pools - Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzN8Rp6glEo

Regards,
Mihajlo Tekic

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 3:25 PM, Øyvind Isene <oyvind.isene@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

This is a topic covered by the Real World Performance Group; no one does
it better explaining this. Here is one link to a recent preso I found by
googling:

http://rwpt.hroug.hr/content/download/6547/107877/file/RWP2015%20part%20I.pdf

If you go to Open World, be sure to catch at least one of their sessions,
it is probably the best infotainment you get there, especially if you have
a taste for British sarcasm ;-) Also get in touch with your local user
group and see if they have invited them for 2016.

I think it more depends on the usage of the connections in the pool.
If all your connections, out of the pool, are always busy it is probably
wise to take numbers of CPU into account. If they are only used once in
a while I would monitor connectionpool usage.

Best Regards,
Martijn

On 14-09-15 20:57, Stephens, Chris wrote:
Are there general recommendations on initial connection pool sizing
based on the number of CPU's available to a database?

I keep seeing connection pools sized far (far!) beyond the number of
CPU's and that doesn't make any sense to me.

Chris

Confidentiality Notice:
This message may contain confidential or privileged information, or
information that is otherwise exempt from disclosure. If you are not the
intended recipient, you should promptly delete it and should not disclose,
copy or distribute it to others.

--
Øyvind Isene
+47 90864882