Re: concerning soft parses

  • From: "Ryan" <ryan.gaffuri@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:47:29 -0500

what is a 'softer' soft parse?
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 5:41 PM
Subject: RE: concerning soft parses

> Ryan,
>
> In the ideal, perfect world, the first session would connect, the query
would be parsed (that would be a hard parse), then the variables would be
> bound, and the statement executed.  That session would never have to parse
again.  It simply needs to re-bind and re-execute as many times as
necessary.
> The second session would come along and parse (this would be a soft
parse), then bind variables and execute.  Same here, it never needs to parse
again.
> So, you have one hard parse per unique sql statement and one soft parse
per session per unique sql statement.  That's the ideal.  Approximately zero
> applications work this way! ;-)
>
> To answer your question, utilizing the session cursor cache does not
eliminate soft parsing.  It does, however, make for a 'softer' soft parse,
which
> provides for greater scalability.  This can be demonstrated w/ some simple
testing and observing the amount of library cache latching.  If you look
> at V$STATNAME, you'll see stats such as:
>
> STATISTIC# NAME
> ---------- ---------------------------------------------------------------
-
>        179 parse count (total)
>        180 parse count (hard)
>        191 session cursor cache hits
>        193 cursor authentications
>
> I did some experimentation here, and I thought it was this list that the
results were posted to.....yeah, I just checked my archive, look around
1/8/04
> for a thread entitled "Re:  Suggestions needed: Latch free - library
cache".

> Hope that helps,
>
> -Mark

to set session_cached_cursors? Now is it possible for two different sessions
to share the same cursor or will this always result in atleast a soft parse?