RE: company database architect that doesn't like rdbms?

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>, "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 10:23:27 -0400

Well, I'm afraid that I have to seriously agree with Robert on this.
The desire to "reinvent the wheel" all the time in pursuit of a better
mousetrap has been one of the downfalls of the commercial software
market.  For some reason the open source community has done better,
though not perfect.  Part of that I believe is human ego and the NIH
syndrome (Not Invented Here).  A lot of this reinvention is pointed
towards making things faster or better by eliminating "non essential"
activities.  Come to think of it we have a proponent of that somewhere
around here, you remember "The fastest way to do anything is not to.".
Problem with that is that many times that non-essential activity is what
lets you know what went wrong when it does.  As for developers, they
want to believe that thy know everything (here comes that ego again).
I've many who want dba privileges and access to system and sys whenever
they "need" it.  On the other hand I've found a large pile of local
developers who are starved for information, help, and guidance.  Try
feeding them, careful now you may get what you're asking for.

Richard Goulet