Re: column masking in 10g

  • From: Jason Heinrich <jheinrich@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidb158@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 08:22:14 -0600

One solution that doesn't involve VPD is to just create a view that doesn't
include that column.  Then grant access to the view to your restricted users
and revoke their access to the base table.  Of course, unless you have
synonyms in place for this table, this would involve changing the code that
accesses the table.

On 3/1/07 7:35 AM, David Boyd wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We¡¯d like to block a column for some users, but open to other users.  We
> don¡¯t care about row level security.  If the user has the privilege to see
> the column data, she/he gets to see the data in the column for the entire
> table.  Otherwise the column is null.  I was wondering if any one uses VPD
> column masking in 10g to block columns.  If you do, could you please share
> your code with me?
>
> Dave

> Mortgage rates as low as 4.625% - Refinance $150,000 loan for $579 a month.
> Intro*Terms
> https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=m
> ortgage_text_links_88_h27f6&disc=y&vers=743&s=4056&p=5117
>
> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

Jason Heinrich
Oracle Database Administrator