Re: character set migration

  • From: Mindaugas Navickas <mnavickas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeroen.van.sluisdam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 09:48:05 -0500 (EST)

Hi Jeroen,

WE8MSWIN1252 is a superset of WE8ISO8859P1 - it has additional characters at
possitions 0x80-0x9f and Euro symbol at 0x80.
If your db-clients uses Windows, then this charset would be a good fit. Note
that even if yu change character set in database, clients might not be able to
see Euro symbol if they continue using WE8ISO8859P1 - they most probably will
get ? in possitions 0x80-0x9f. You have to make corresponding changes in
regisry for NLS_LANG parameter.
ALTER DATABASE does not convert characters in the database - just changes
definition.  In that sense, it is save to use. However, if there are characters
in original character set that are not supported in a new character set, then
it might be a problem showing them correctly to client - use character set
scanner to identify if this is the case.

Good luck
Mindaugas Navickas