Re: changing a column type

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 16:02:01 -0600

Yes, modified BCD, but in Oracle's case, it is one base-100 digit per
byte.  In the BCD of yore, it was one decimal digit per nibble (i.e. 4
bits); works out to roughly the same thing from a storage perspective.

So, each Oracle NUMBER datatype starts with the exponent (one byte) and
then all remaining bytes are used to express the significant digits in
base-100.

Memory is kind of hazy, but I recall teaching this for the "Oracle8
Internals" seminars back in the 1998-2000 timeframe...