re: capturing sql text & times of (long running) queries through trigger?

  • From: cosmin ioan <cosmini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 08:05:56 -0700 (PDT)

hi guys,
  in 9.2.0.6, is there such a thing as a (logon) trigger to capture the (often
long) sql text and (start and end) times of long running queries?

  Yes, one can use sql_trace and the many events, etc, but was wondering if
there's a quicker way to derive the sql's text and times, to be plucked back
into the db, for trending analysis.

  The reason I'm asking is because we have a data warehouse where most of the
users kick off long running queries from various outside third party tools
(like Brio, etc), so other than tracing at the system level, I don't see how I
can elegantly and economically capture the info, for trending purposes.

  thx much,
  Cosmin