Re: can't connect '/ as sysdba'

  • From: August Spier <gspier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: janine@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 18:03:19 -0500

I was under the impression that '/ as sysdba' works only when you are a member of the administrators' group (on windows) or its moral equivalent on *nix.

r,

Gus

On Dec 6, 2006, at 5:14 PM, Janine Sisk wrote:

I'm still googling for answers but it's looking like I won't be finding one, so time to ask here.

I am working as a consultant with a 9.2.0.8 installation. I was present when it was installed and didn't see anything out of the ordinary happen. It seems to function normally with one exception - no matter what I do, I get an ORA-01031 "Insufficient privileges" error when I try to connect with '/ as sysdba', which prevents dbstart and dbshut from working. I have worked with other 9i installations and have never had this problem before.

Most of the suggestions boil down to making sure that group assignments are correct and that TWO_TASK is not set, and I've followed up on both of those. The group that owns all of the files in $ORACLE_HOME is the same one that's set in config.c and is the oracle user's primary group. I am only expecting this to work as the oracle user.

What else could be wrong?

thanks,

janine