RE: can we call unix scripts from oracle database

  • From: <jim.silverman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edwin_kodamala@xxxxxxxxx>, <knecht.stefan@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 09:18:37 -0400

Edwin, attached to this message are two text files.  The first, x1.sql,
contains a snippet of PL/SQL code that will create a job, assign values
to its arguments, and enable (i.e., call) it.  The second, x1.ksh,
contains the start of a shell script that could serve as the executable
invoked by the database-generated job.

This code lives in a 10.1.0.5 database on a Solaris host.

A couple of things I learned along the way:

*       The environment for the process in which the executable file
runs is virtually empty - not even a PATH variable exists - so you'll
have to establish the environment on your own.
*       Depending on the platform on which the database resides, and the
method by which the Oracle software was installed, you may encounter
ORA-27369 errors (job of type EXECUTABLE failed with exit code ...).  If
so, consult Metalink for specific solutions based on your environment.

 <<x1.sql>>  <<x1.ksh>>
Jim Silverman
Senior Systems Database Administrator
Solucient, LLC - A Thomson Company