can table locking improve performance ??

  • From: <babette.turnerunderwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 14:41:57 -0400

We have an initial load process that is very long running.
The update of 38M rows takes hours and hours.
There are two users on the entire system, us doing the
load and another user to look at some of the v$ views
during the load process.

Updates need to put exclusive row-level locks before
being able to update rows. If we do a table level lock
PRIOR to the update statement, what effect will it
have on performance. Intuitively, we think it should be
more efficient, but I don't know if Oracle will be more
efficient in checking locks when updating rows
or does the exact same source code apply, regardless
if there is a table level lock.

In other words, in this case, can a table level lock
improve performance ?

- thanks
Babette