RE: calculate size of idx

  • From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:11:29 -0600

Srinivas
   The space required to store a NUMBER will vary by the number of digits
the number contains. IIRC the bytes are 1 + CEIL(digits/2). You can get
closer on your index size estimate if you will use the
avg(vsize(column_name)) on each of the columns you will have in your index.
   For both tables and indexes you can further improve the precision of your
estimate by calculating the number of rows that will fit into a block, then
compute the number of blocks that will be required.
   If you use Google to search using terms like oracle index size formula
you will find several formulas for estimating the table and index sizes.
Unfortunately in the recent tests I conducted, I could not find any formula
that produced really accurate results.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.