Re: cFiso-8859-1?Q?RE: _Displaying_£_symbol__ (pound_sterling)

  • From: Steve Farmer <hts@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gabriel.aragon@xxxxxx, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:41:51 +0100

Hi Gabriel,

I have a currencies table in which i store various attributes for each currency , I am storing the html code for each (for instance)

I had not thought of the ASCII value, however I get

SQL>  select ascii('£') from dual;

ASCII('??')
-----------
        191

SQL> select chr(191) from dual;

-
?

SQL> select chr(156) from dual;

-
?

So it seems that something still needs to be changed.

What character set is your DB using ?

BTW I have tried this in windows sqlplus and sqlplus from the linux command line :(

I will try it in a php script which sends an email and see what happens !

Regards
Steve
At 11:43 AM -0500 30/8/05, Aragon, Gabriel (GE Commercial Finance) wrote:
maybe you should change your approach to solve this, I would use a numeric data type to store the ascii for the symbol and just make the conversion as required..

sql> select ascii('£') from dual;

ASCII('î')
----------
       156

sql> create table money (quantity number, currency number);

Table created.

sql> insert into money values (100, 156);

1 row created.

sql> select quantity, chr(currency) from money;

  QUANTITY C
       100 £

regards,
GAP

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
-Abraham Lincoln, U.S. president (1809-1865)
Support free speech; visit http://www.efa.org.au/

Heads Together Software Pty Ltd http://www.hts.com.au Email: hts@xxxxxxxxxx Tel: +44 7985 602 102