RE: block chg tracking

  • From: "Powell, Mark" <mark.powell2@xxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 14:57:18 +0000

I am not sure I agree with the following logic: "With a really big DB, overhead
of restoring several incremental backups becomes unacceptable. I don't know the
sizes of your databases and the SLA time specified to bring them back, but
chances are that restoring several incremental backups will take significant
amount of time."

With a large database just restoring the files will take a large amount of
time, perhaps rendering the time necessary to apply the incremental and archive
log relatively insignificant in comparison.  You have to apply the archived
redo logs from the last backup to bring the database current.  Incremental
backups are actually just collections of changes and the applying of the
incremental backup replaces applying all the logs generated between the full
backup (level 0 in this case) and the incremental backup so does applying
incremental backups really add much if any time to the total recovery process?

My ideal would be to run full backups every night and not use incremental
backups however if I remember right incremental backups were introduced as a
way to reduce the time necessary to run the nightly backups.  So if you are
using incremental backups to reduce the load on the machines during say,
nightly batch, you may not really have a choice.  Then we get to those sites
where an rman full backup takes more than 24 hours to run.

I think backup requirements are very site specific.