Re: block chg tracking

  • From: "Mladen Gogala" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mgogala@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 16:01:04 -0500

Comments in-line:

On 02/14/2015 06:48 AM, Kenny Payton wrote:

We moved our local standby databases to netapp (any snapshot storage could suffice) and replaced RMAN backups with standby snapshots.

Why are you backing up standby databases? Aren't they supposed to be copies of production? What do you do during DR tests, when typically a switch-over is performed?

This gives us image file full backups every two hours. It also removed the RMAN cpu/io from production.

What is the database version? Snapping a database without putting it into the backup mode is only supported as of Oracle 12c:

https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/RCMRF/rcmsynta2001.htm#RCMRF140

We rely on autobackup for controlfile and spfile.

How about archive logs? If you don't have rman backup of the latest archive logs, you cannot recover to current time..

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA