Re: block chg tracking

  • From: "Mladen Gogala" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mgogala@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 18:04:18 -0500

On 02/13/2015 03:25 PM, Jeremy Schneider wrote:
My understanding of Commvault Dedupe is that you have to run a full
backup (read the whole disk and transfer the whole thing compressed
over the network), but commvault will only*store*  the changes, using
an index to identify duplicate blocks.  Is this correct?
Yes, that is correct.

The most interesting solutions I've seen allow you to only run
incrementals [forever] or only ship logs [forever] and the appliance
synthetically generates fulls which can be restored in one shot.
We have that for file system, not for Oracle. We call it "synthetic full backup".

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA