Re: bitmap index and distinct values

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 11:11:02 +0100

CP,

Your array is presumably a two-dimensional array where each row represents
a possible value, and each column represents a row in the table.

If so, then imagine a B-tree which is built from just the first row where
each distinct value appears, then attach to each entry of that B-tree the
row from your array corresponding to that value.

We then have to add a little complication because (a) we eliminate lots of
consecutive zeros from the row we store, and (b) the row could (still) be
much too large for a single B-tree entry so we cut the row into chunks and
store each chunk as a separate b-tree entry, so each entry actually looks
like: (value, start_rowid_of_chunk, end_rowid_of_chunk, chunk).

If you've read Richard Foote's material you've probably had enough of
textual descriptions, but the first of the three items on this page may
give you just a little nudge to seeing how it works:
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2015/04/23/golden-oldies

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/all-postings