RE:best way to convert into large VLDB oracle while running operationally

  • From: <Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:11:33 -0500

So,

Oracle 9i

-Vendor is converting data.  Their conversion process used 2Gb of space in
archivelogs in one hour.  Of course we could turn off archiving but then the
redo logs get overwritten.

-Business plans on running operationally in the same database.

-I have concerns about recovering if anything goes wrong or running out of
space at a rate of 2GB space in archives/hour.

-3rd party product - not much say in the conversion process itself

-Wish we could run conversion in a separate instance then do some process to
move data after it was converted to the operational database - in batch
off-hours - yadayada.  What about using a database link so we get the correct
sequence numbers - the operational database would be using the sequence - the
database link for the conversion database.