RE: baselines before moving to a new server

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx>, "'ORACLE-L'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 18:20:17 -0500

Getting plans for the queries that constitute the bulk of your workload is
useful, especially if a reasonable number of queries constitute the
workload.

The tricky part is that queries that currently have good plans that may
change to an inefficient plan in the move might not currently show up as
much. So if you can keep your old server around for a while it can be very
useful to get the plan for a query that has become a problem on the new
server on the old environment.

Being able to relatively quickly slap a hint on a query that has gone south
in the new environment or collect a column histogram or whatever can help
stem the notion that the new environment is "no good." Then you can make
more scientific case by case improvements divorced from the psychological
link to the change in systems.

Good luck!

  _____