Re: backup best practices

  • From: Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:40:03 -0400

On 10/7/05, Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, part of this will depend on whether you're running a "real"
> O/S...;-) I'll let folks decide for themselves what a "real" O/S is or is
> not....;-)
>  Seriously, though, in my opinion, a production database in archivelog
> mode should almost never need to be bounced. I see no reason for scheduled
> bounces or outages. Since 9i, when you can set SGA_MAX_SIZE and dynamically
> adjust many, many parameters, there are fewer and fewer reasons to need to
> bounce. A properly implemented hot backup strategy should be able to provide
> for recovery from any type of media failure. I can't think of any scenario
> where a cold backup is "better" than a hot backup. I can't think of any
> reason to bounce a instance. All you do is thrash the buffer cache and
> library cache.
>  My two cents,
>  -Mark

Mark,

I would have said that it should be bounced quarterly when security updates
are applied.
Now I'm not so sure.

http://www.petefinnigan.com/weblog/archives/00000577.htm

"What about the patches since Alert 68 - the quarterly Critical PatchUpdates?
Unfortunately it is the same story. Bugs that should have been spotted left
in the code, brand new bugs being introduced and old ones reappearing."

A cold backup should be taken before an upgrade to a new release.
This could consist of a hot backup + the online redo logs and current
controlfile.

Paul