RE: backup best practices

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <swhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 10:50:35 -0400

Well, part of this will depend on whether you're running a "real"
O/S...;-)  I'll let folks decide for themselves what a "real" O/S is or
is not....;-)

Seriously, though, in my opinion, a production database in archivelog
mode should almost never need to be bounced.  I see no reason for
scheduled bounces or outages.  Since 9i, when you can set SGA_MAX_SIZE
and dynamically adjust many, many parameters, there are fewer and fewer
reasons to need to bounce.  A properly implemented hot backup strategy
should be able to provide for recovery from any type of media failure.
I can't think of any scenario where a cold backup is "better" than a hot
backup.  I can't think of any reason to bounce a instance.  All you do
is thrash the buffer cache and library cache.

My two cents,

-Mark