RE: backup backupset over multiple channels in RAC

  • From: tomi wijanto <restomi_w@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:11:24 -0800 (PST)

Hi Brian,

in my current RAC env, i backup to disk using multiple
channels, each channel has connection to different
instance. So, disk backupset are located in different
server.

Now, i also need to backup to tape. Instead of running
again rman backup to tape directly, i only want to
move disk backupset to tape.

Do you use RMAN to move disk backupset to tape? or
just move it directly? I need to keep information
about tape backupset in rman repository.

Using RMAN 'backup backupset', i can move disk
backupset to tape (i try it for specific backupset,
for ex: backup backupset 1230).
But when i tried for all existing disk backupset, it
caused error because cannot find backupset in another
server.

So i guess, this is limitation of command 'backup
backupset' to doing multiple channels backup on
different instance.

regards,
tomi

--- "Spears, Brian" <BSpears@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  This is how we do it. We however use simple scripts
> that do the job for us
> and a sheduler runs it. We can simply change a
> parameter to change the
> amount of copies left on disk.  Confirming it is
> successful to tape is what
> we wanted to control at a native level.
>
> I think we backup in the terabyte range to disk then
> ship to tape. Just ask
> any thing specific you want about this.
>
> Brian

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.